If your personal details like name, date of birth etc. differ from your Aadhar details, don’t worry. This post shall help you learn the process of updating these important details in an easy manner. So, if you wish to update EPF details and do EPF name correction online, EPF date of birth correction or UAN name correction online, this post might be of your interest.
EPF or Employee Provident Fund Scheme: A Glimpse
The EPF scheme allows employees to save a substantial amount of retirement fund while they are still working. A small part of the salary is deducted and invested in this scheme. The employer also contributes to this corpus of the employee. The employee can withdraw this corpus after retirement. This amount can also be withdrawn partially at the time of financial requirement before the retirement of the employee as well.
EPFO has made adequate provisions for its members to claim withdrawal online. However, if your personal details such as name, date of birth, etc. do not match with that in Aadhaar, you may face issues in withdrawing your funds. You can check your details by logging in to the EPF member portal using your Universal Account Number (UAN). In case you find that your details on the member portal do not match with your Aadhaar details, you can get it corrected so that you do not face any problems in future.
EPFO has more than 19 crore member accounts with more than 5 crore contributing members currently. The organisation has successfully settled claims of all retired members till now. A substantial amount of these accounts contained incomplete or wrong details due to which members faced problems in withdrawing funds. Even though these claims were settled after making adequate corrections, the process extended the time period for disbursal of funds for such accounts.
The government has stated that the member’s date of birth was missing in more than 8.38 crore EPF accounts and around 11 crore accounts had father’s name of the employee missing. Earlier, an employee had to file an application jointly with his employer if he wanted to get any of his details updated against his UAN. But, after the organisation started providing its services online, an employee can now get his details updated in just a few clicks.
The online service allows a member to apply for transfer or withdrawal of funds, eKYC updating, viewing passbook, etc. However, following requisites have to be fulfilled before a member can avail the online service:
- Active UAN with PF accounts
- Access to the EPF member portal
- Aadhaar number
If your UAN is already linked with Aadhaar and is verified by UIDAI, you may get a message “Aadhaar is already verified. Your details aren’t editable“.In this case, you cannot make any changes related to your basic details in your UAN as the data has already been verified by UIDAI. The data in your UAN is upgraded by that in Aadhaar after verification. If your details in Aadhaar are incorrect, you can get it updated and request for verification at the EPF member portal to make corrections in your UAN data.
How to update or correct EPF Details (Name/ Date of birth) online?
If you do not get the above message while making modifications in your UAN data, you can get your details updated online. Updating your details takes place at two broader levels –
- Update request by the Employee and
- Approval by the Employer.
EPF Name Correction online: Process
The simple process to be followed is given below:
- The member (employee) has to make required changes at the EPF member portal and submit the request to the employer.
- The system compares this data with that received from UIDAI’s database.
- If matching, the system forwards the request to the employer.
- The employer verifies these details and forwards it along with the employee’s request to the EPFO.
- EPFO processes the request and makes the required corrections.
In case, details mentioned in Aadhaar are incorrect, you will have to first get your Aadhaar data updated. It may not take more than 15 days to get this data updated in Aadhaar. Once updated, you can download the Aadhaar card and access it using the 8-digit e-Aadhaar card password.
EPF UAN Name Correction Online: Steps to be followed by the employee:
The employee has to follow these steps to generate an update request online through the EPF member portal:
- Login to the EPF Member Portal using your UAN and password
Click on the “Modify Basic Details” option in the Manage section.
- Provide your Aadhaar number and details mentioned in Aadhaar (Name, date of birth and gender) and click on the “Update” button. The system verifies these details with those mentioned in UIDAI’s database.
- Confirm whether the details mentioned by you are correct. Click on “Yes” to submit your update request.
Your request is saved in the system for review. When verified, your request will be forwarded to the employer.
- If you want to revoke your request after submitting it, you can click on the cross button mentioned in the “Action” section
EPF Name Correction Online: Steps to be followed by the employer
The employer has to follow these steps to get EPF details like Name, date of birth etc. of his employee updated:
- The employer has to login to the Employer Interface.
- Click on the “Details Change Request” in the Member section to check the requests made by employees.
- The employer can take required action and provide proper remark after approval.
- After request approval, the employer can view the latest status request on his interface.
- The request is then forwarded to the Dealing Hand of the concerned EPF office.
- This request will now appear in the Field Office Interface of the EPFO Portal that can be accessed only after the concerned officer logins to his account.
- The Dealing Hand has to open these requests by clicking on the “Details Change Request” in the Member section.
- The Dealing Hand submits his recommendations to the Section Supervisor after appropriate verification.
- The authority can either accept or reject the recommendation with proper remarks.
- The Section Supervisor submits his recommendations to the Regional Provident Fund Commissioner (RPFC) who finally accepts or rejects the case.
How to Update your EPF details offline?
A member (employee) can also opt for updating EPF details offline in case his Aadhaar is not linked with UAN or he is facing some issues in the online process.
Following steps have to be followed to update your details offline:
- Download the Joint declaration form from EPFO’s website.
- Fill the form and get it approved by the employer.
- The employer has to provide his name, signature and the establishment seal.
- Attach required proofs with the form.
- Submit the application at the concerned EPF office.
- You will get a slip containing the acknowledgement number that can be used to track the update status.
You may also like to read: 7 Best Long term Investment Options in India
Now, you know the complete process for correction of your EPF account details. So, you can easily guide your friend in his EPF UAN name correction online or other rectification, if any. Do share your valuable experience or opinions on the same.