Chartered Accountant or CA…The words that bring a sense of pride and satisfaction on one’s face. The prestige and respect the prefix “CA” offers is incomparable. Ask the persons who have completed the Chartered Accountancy Course and have gone through the various phases of becoming a Chartered Accountant. Ask them How to become Chartered Accountant? Their answer will make you think deeply.
Its not that simple…In fact,the journey of a Chartered Accountant is full of challenges both as a student as well as at the professional level. I should rather say an adventurous expedition! Where you need to overcome various hurdles and focus on achieving your goals with full determination.
If you are ambitious, hard working and believe in putting consistent efforts in your studies, then only read further…this is the course truly meant for you. But, if you wish to choose an easier option this may not be your cup of tea. You can look out for other feasible options.
But, wait…that doesn’t mean that you will have to sacrifice anything while doing CA course, as is normally heard. You can equally follow your hobbies and interests and enjoy your life as other students do. Its just that you need to be a bit more dedicated and focused to attain your dreams of becoming a Chartered Accountant.
So, all the passionate and hardworking students, get ready to know the basic & minute details about this popular course. Let us make you explore the important details on the Chartered Accountancy Course and How you can become Chartered Accountant?
Chartered Accountancy Course: A brief idea
Firstly, let us make one thing clear…A common query raised by people: From where you can do Chartered Accountancy Course? Which is the regulating body for CA course and the CA profession?
The Chartered Accountancy Course is regulated and managed by ICAI or The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India, New Delhi. ICAI is a statutory body that has been setup by an act of Parliament to regulate the profession of Chartered Accountancy.
There are regional councils and decentralised offices setup across different states. These support the functioning and management of various tasks associated with the students and the members.
Chartered Accountancy Course: Important Points
Few important points related to CA Course, that you need to be aware of are:
- There are as such no regular classes for the Chartered Accountancy Course. You don’t need to attend any classes as you do in a regular college/university.
- You can register for the CA course and do self study and appear for the exams. However,you can seek guidance from experts and members on various subjects.
- The course fee is quite reasonable for anybody to afford in an easy manner. As compared to medical and engineering fields, where you need to shed in lakhs in the name of fee, in CA you just need to spend few thousands (a very nominal amount) as the course fee to be a part of this professional course.
- Chartered Accountancy Course is a combination of theoretical knowledge and practical training. The theoretical aspects are tested in the form of examinations that are conducted in the month of May and November every year. While the practical part is in the form of compulsory training known as Articled training or Articleship. No doubt, the practical knowledge gained is always helpful in clearing the exams as well.
- Requisite guidance is provided to students at each and every stage of pursuing this professional course.
- ICAI has tie-ups with various other universities where you can pursue undergraduate and post graduate programmes alongside CA. If you are a part of the CA course and have cleared some of its exams, you can also avail certain exemptions while appearing for exams of the university with whom there is a tie-up.
You may also like: 9 Best Courses for Commerce students!
Now, we shall highlight the crucial steps as to How to become a Chartered Accountant or CA in India? to make parents and students understand it in a simple manner.
How to become a Chartered Accountant or CA?
The new curriculum for CA course has been launched and the date of commencement of registration under the new scheme is 1st July 2017.
Earlier, there used to be CPT,IPCC and Final route.No fresh registrations shall be taken under this previous scheme. The new registrations shall be done under the New or Revised Scheme of CA Course.
These names have now been changed to Foundation, Intermediate and Final. Several changes have also been made at all the levels including modifications in the syllabus and few subjects.
So, here we shall be discussing the Revised scheme (Foundation route) preferably to help the aspiring students who wish to join this course in future:
Through Foundation Course Route:
1. CA Foundation: You have to register with the Board of Studies(ICAI) after appearing in 12th standard.You shall be eligible to appear in the foundation examination once you have passed your 12th standard exams.
2. CA Intermediate: You can join intermediate course after clearing the Foundation course.You need to complete the Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft skills(ICITSS).Appear for Intermediate exams after the requisite period.
You need to join articled training (practical training) after clearing either one or both groups of Intermediate course and after undergoing ICITSS. The duration of articled training is 3 years.
In case, you joined articled training after passing one group only, you have to clear the remaining group of the Intermediate course.
3. CA Final: After passing all the exams of Intermediate group you can register for the Final Course. At this point you need to undergo Advanced Integrated Course on Information Technology and Soft skills(AICITSS) alongside your practical training but before appearing for Final examinations.
Complete your 3 years articled training.Pass both groups of your final examination.
Please note that there is another Direct entry route to enrol to the CA Course for graduates/postgraduates to enrol directly to the Intermediate course.
The details given in this post are on “as is” basis. Please check for any modifications or updates directly from the ICAI website. You can get all the requisite information related to the CA course (Students section) as well as the CA profession (Members section) at the official website www.icai.org
Here you go…Ready to become a Chartered Accountant. What a great feeling it is!
Once you clear the Chartered Accountancy Final exams and have completed your articled training, you are eligible for becoming the Member of ICAI. Get enrolled as the Member of the Institute. Your name shall be written in the register of members and you shall be designated as a “Chartered Accountant”.
Congrats! Welcome to the CA world…You are a CA now! You shall have to complete the entire course before hearing these lines. So…wake up! Enough of dreams…Be practical and focus on your career goals. Don’t worry! You can surely turn your dreams to reality by putting in the best of your efforts.
Thereon, begins a new journey…you wish to setup your own CA firm or you wish to lookout for a corporate job and thereby entering the world of professionals.
CA Course: Review
Remember, completing the CA Course is just the beginning of a new phase followed by a new set of responsibilities ahead. As a professional, whether you get into your own practice or look for a corporate job, maintain the dignity of this profession.
If you choose this profession, just respect it and be loyal towards it and give your best, you will definitely reap the benefits in the long run.
The grand GST drive, the introduction of GST in India, has raised the demand for Chartered Accountants or CAs to a larger extent. Businesses and companies are looking for CAs all around to resolve their taxation and other queries. This has surely widened the scope and career prospects for CAs in India.
Looking at the changing scenario, our country needs a fairly large number of responsible accounting and tax professionals. Hence, CAs are the perfect answer to it.
Feel free to share your valuable feedback and any queries thereon in the comment section below.
Are you interested in pursuing the Chartered Accountancy Course? The challenges may be high and shall require full commitment towards your studies as well as the prestigious profession. But, the final rewards that you will get on clearing the Chartered Accountancy Course shall help you build a really promising career ahead. Best of luck to all the aspiring CAs! Have a great career ahead!